Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -InvestPioneer
Chainkeen Exchange-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 01:30:05
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Chainkeen Exchangeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7594)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Taylor Swift announces new song 'The Albatross' on 'Tortured Poets' album
- A judge has dismissed Fargo’s challenge to North Dakota restrictions on local gun control
- Wendy Williams diagnosed with same form of dementia as Bruce Willis
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Charlie Woods takes part in first PGA Tour pre-qualifier event for 2024 Cognizant Classic
- Trial of ‘Rust’ armorer to begin in fatal film rehearsal shooting by Alec Baldwin
- What does gender expansive mean? Oklahoma teen's death puts gender identity in spotlight.
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- This week’s cellphone outage makes it clear: In the United States, landlines are languishing
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Herbstreit, Fowler to be voices in EA Sports college football game that will feature every FBS team
- Americans have more credit card debt than savings again in 2024. How much do they owe?
- Professional bowler extradited to Ohio weeks after arrest while competing in Indiana tournament
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Texas AG Ken Paxton sues Catholic migrant aid organization for alleged 'human smuggling'
- Hotel California lyrics trial reveals Eagles manager cited God Henley in phone call
- Two men charged in Vermont murder-for-hire case to go on trial in September
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
A Mississippi university pauses its effort to remove ‘Women’ from its name
NFL cut candidates: Russell Wilson, Jamal Adams among veterans on shaky ground
Herbstreit, Fowler to be voices in EA Sports college football game that will feature every FBS team
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Sam Waterston's last case: How 'Law & Order' said goodbye to Jack McCoy
On decades-old taped call, Eagles manager said ‘pampered rock star’ was stalling band biography
Kentucky Senate panel advances bill to encourage cutting-edge research